Just like firms do their due diligence before taking over a company, code audits are our no compromise investigation for rescuing, taking over, or remodeling an existing custom software application. We take a look under the hood and give you an honest assessment of your application. The purpose is to determine if your current code base is maintainable long-term, or suitable for future development.
Most importantly, code audits serve as the starting point to us taking over a failing application. We’ll be able to determine how to best use your existing software asset (codebase) to reach your business’ goals.
Curious If You Need a Code Audit?
If you’re experiencing any of the following problems, we recommend a code audit:
Issues with your current development team:
Lack of understanding of your business
Taking too long or not responsive to issues
Overall concerns about value being provided
Seems to be a lot of rework happening
You’re not getting items delivered that you need
Priorities seem out of order
Issues with your custom software application:
Recurring and increasing bugs
One thing getting fixed and something else breaking
Issues with new features because the code isn’t stable
Our process for rescuing a failing project or taking over an existing or legacy custom software application is pretty straightforward.
1. We schedule a secure GoToMeeting call (roughly 90 minutes) so you can demo what you have so far. Our goals on the call are to:
- Understand the history, background and business goals
- Understand the users of the system
- Understand what is working well and what is not working well
- Discuss short-term and long-term objectives
2. Next, we work with you and your development team to pull in all the necessary assets that need to be audited. These include:
- Source code, ideally with full development history
- Documentation (architectural, deployment, developer onboarding/contribution, user guides)
3. Lastly, we conduct the audit and send you a comprehensive report. The report includes:
- Identifying any major risks
- Confirming known concerns
- Providing an overall quality analysis
A Code Audit Can Help You, Your Team, and Business
If your custom software application is not providing your business with the return you anticipated, you have concerns with your current development team, or are noticing red flags in the software itself, it is time for a code audit. You’ve invested too much time and money on an asset that is failing you, your team, and business to continue to be frustrated.
You need a team that can handle the entire life cycle of your custom software application, well beyond the first phase. In fact, after the first phase is where most development teams fail because management of the application is nonexistent. This leaves many businesses out in the cold as the asset ages, issues arise, and new features are requested.
For us, we only takeover, rescue, or remodel applications when we believe we can add value to your business through its entire lifecycle. Manage means we’re in it for the long-haul. On average:
- We conduct 20-30 code audits a year
- Each code audit takes between 20-60 hours
- Code Audits start at $7,500
- Turnaround time is 1-3 weeks once we get our hands on the asset
Get Your Software a Second Opinion
If you’ve read this far, chances are you’re burned out on being frustrated with your current development team or you’re suspicious about the overall performance of your current software system. Contact us and we’ll take a look under the hood and give you an honest assessment of your application.